Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jacob's Foot: Mysteries of The Universe

I've never been a man who made lists of what needs to be done. Maybe I should begin making lists. I have this feeling that I will need to keep track of various writing assignments. And it's really more a fact than merely a feeling. Yes, I should begin making lists.

For instance, I set out to write about this Mysteries of the Universe that debuted in late July on abc.com from the LOST folks. I meant to address it Monday but that topic got lost amongst the Oasis Off finale excitement. As I sat, preparing to write the very entry that you are reading, I pondered over whether to write a LOST episode of the day or whether to write about something else that isn't an episode. I then remembered that Mysteries of The Universe is waiting to be written about.

I think it is time to write lists.

Anywho, before diving into the first two episodes of the Mysteries of the Universe, I'd like to write a few words about the future of this very blog. The school year is fast approaching. The first issue of The Quad is beginning to form. Oasis Off is now over. True Blood gets, at most, a paragraph in The Foot. Once the school year begins, you'll find behind the scenes happenings at The Quad and other fun stuff like that and you'll continue to get weekly thoughts about LOST as the sixth and final season nears.

THE MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE

Somehow the news of this faux-documentary didn't register with me when it was announced at Comic-Con. The faux-documentary is presented as being originally aired on an ABC Primetime-esque program. The focal point of the documentary is The Dharma Intiative. It has a 5 episode run which will conclude in November. The first episode is set-up for what's to come. The second episode is where it gets entertaining. The narrator speaks about the recruitment process of Dharma (the mysterious process). The filmmakers speak to a neighbor of PHIL (yes that Phil who hit Juliet and made my top 9 so and so list in May) who tells the narrator that he knew Phil was interviewing for a new job but that he was interviewed five times and then one day disappeared and had all of his possessions sold by anonymous men. The filmmakers also speak to the parents of Olivia Goodspeed (Horace's wife, taught Ben and Annie at school) about their daughter's disappearance.

A very interesting thing about the recruitment process is that it is similar to the recruitment we saw of Juliet to Mittelos Bioscience. The Dharma recruitment process is secretive, recruits simply disappear, have no contact with their families once a member of the Dharma Initiative. The difference is that Dharma didn't use a front. They just seem to want to be hidden from society. Mittelos Bioscience is a front The Others used.

Another big difference: we know what Dharma was doing on The Island. We still don't know the ultimate purpose of The Others (i think that'll surely be addressed in the final season).

Below are the first two episodes of the Mysteries of the Universe:



No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.