Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Once Upon A Time "Skin Deep" Review

Hero Complex published an interview with Once creators Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. I clicked on the link, hoping to find insight into the inner-workings of the series, perhaps a revelatory quote from either member of the writing team or something that'd make feel differently about this series. I'd love to, you know, love Once Upon A Time. I respect the heck out of the creators and their writing staff. Something's not working though. Perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste and preference. Other individuals love the series and are riveted by the action each and every week. For me, though, each episode's worse than the previous one. The individual stories are hollow, and the central arc of the season develops at a snail's pace. Climatic scenes put me to sleep; urgent scenes between star-crossed lovers make me want to concuss myself; revelations absolutely underwhelm me.

"Skin Deep" told the story of the beauty and the beast. Adam Horowitz posed the question, "What happens if the beast truly is a monster?" In fact, Kitsis and Horowitz spoke about their unique spins on different fairy tales, like how Cinderella got her silver slipper from Rumplestiltskin. If such spins are meant to excite me, then I'm definitely the wrong person for the show. I never wondered how Cinderella got her glass slipper, or what it'd be like if Belle's beast was an Impish I digress. Belle's father called on Rumple when he needed a little magic to turn his fortunes around in the Ogre Wars. Rumple agreed to magically turn the tables for his kingdom if the king agreed to part with his daughter. The king refused. Belle volunteered to leave with Rumple for the sake of her family, the king, and herself, (as we'd learn later).

Rumplestiltskin didn't want much from Belle, except for a clean castle. Belle complied with his request. As she served him tea, she chipped one of his cups. The crack was small, but noticeable enough. Rumple dismissed the chipped cup. Belle was curious about him. She asked questions no one else would, about his former life, and the children's clothing in one of the rooms. One time, Belle fell from a ladder after ripping away a blind to let light into the room. Belle later opined her theory that Rumple shunned sunlight because he thought himself ugly and a monster. The scenes were supposed to build a tortured, but touching, romance between the characters. Belle's the character who found beauty within the beast in the Disney movie. The pre-Darkness Rumplestiltskin was a man a woman could love, but the Imp's much different; however, a beauty exists beneath the beast; it'll take much, much longer for Belle to meet that man though.

I didn't think the love story worked at all. Jane Espenson's script told more than it showed. Did Rumple's glitter attract Belle, or his wheel spinning? The story dictated that Belle fall for Rumple, and he for her, because this is the story of the beauty and the beast. I just don't think the writers put in enough work to earn these stories and these scenes. Rumple let Belle go because she got too close. On her way home, the Evil Queen stopped to talk with her about the effect of true love's kiss. True love's kiss breaks any kind of curse as long as the feeling is mutual, according to the evil queen. Belle returned, kissed Rumple, and he briefly became a man again. Of course, he freaked out and threw Belle into the dungeon. Rumple ALSO yelled at the queen through a mirror because both are involved in a power play, similar to Jacob and the MIB.

In Storybrooke, Mr. Gold wanted to kill Moe French for defaulting a loan. French stole several items from his home after Gold took his flower truck. Gold only cared about a missing chipped cup. Gold beat French for the way he treated 'her.' Emma arrived and arrested Mr. Gold for assault. Emma didn't learn anything from Mr. Gold. I'd like to tell you Mr. Gold's Storybrooke story had more meat but it didn't. Regina bought thirty minutes alone with Mr. Gold by giving Emma time with Henry. Their scene was climatic and revelatory, a seminal scene in the show's history, but I struggled to pay attention to the dialogue. In short, Mr. Gold and Regina remember the other world. Both continue their little game against one another for true power. Regina's leverage is Belle-as-captive in her underground fairy tale. Mr. Gold's leverage is the curse itself (recall that she went to him to complete the curse). Indeed, Rumple fell in love with Belle. The chipped cup is the only memento of his time with her, a reminder of his humanity, and his ability to love.

The storytelling is slow. I'd be more invested in the Mr. Gold/Regina nonsense if Emma had a more direct role. Emma's the heroine. Mr. Gold and Regina are self-absorbed bastards. Their backstories of a love-gone-wrong does not make me sympathize with them nor does it make me care about them as characters. Emma's the character I root for; she'll be the one to save the good fairy talk folk from the curse. Of course, I don't really care if the curse is lifted. There's something missing in this show...maybe good characterization. I don't really care about ANY of the character. I don't care about the forbidden love between David and Mary. The B story followed Ashley, Red Riding Hood, and Mary as they enjoyed a girl’s night out on Valentine's Day. Mary was sad because her relationship with David is a secret. Ashley was sad because her husband worked all of the time. I forgot about Ashley and her boyfriend and blah blah blah. I'll stop because I don't want to bitch too much.

I appreciate the show's attempts to layer their characters. On paper, they're sort of complicated (not really). "Skin Deep" should've been the episode that cemented Rumplestiltskin as this tragic and complicated anti-hero, a figure of Shakespearan-esque tragedy, repeatedly undone by his fatal flaw; but it was about a chipped cup and a poorly written romance involving a poorly written female character. Jane Espenson wrote the episode, and I should've at least liked the episode because Espenson's one of the best TV writers in the business. I don't know what else to write.

Other Thoughts:

-Eddie and Adam sounded like their former bosses, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, in that interview.

-Emilie de Ravin portrayed Belle. I haven't seen her on my television since the LOST finale in 2010. I had a fanboy crush on her for all six seasons of LOST. I hope she guest-stars in something better soon.

-Amy Acker's going to guest-star in the future, and I hope the role she got is well-written.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK


No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.