Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

The Best Episodes of 2011 (Part 5 of 5)

THE BEST EPISODES OF 2011 (Part 5 of 5)

I fell one episode short of 25 this year. Half-hour comedies seemingly dominated this week. I'm surprised because I like hour-long shows more. So, yes, here at the end of the week, I'm surprised by my own list. Maybe I should watch better hour-long shows. Regardless, I did not watch enough quality hour-long shows, so the comedies reign supreme. Of course, three of today's four episodes are from hour-long shows. I'd like to think that I saved the best for last; however, I never thought much about which episode went where. I more or less wrote about the episodes I liked and thought about on the day I wrote about them. For what it's worth, I consider three of the four episodes today to be the best hours of television I watched in 2011.

COMMUNITY's "Remedial Chaos Theory"--Written By Chris McKenna; Directed By Jeff Melman

Unfortunately, "Remedial Chaos Theory" isn't among the very best half-hours I watched in 2011. There were better Community episodes, but this one's still terrific. Each season of Community surprises me several times. Season 3 began with three or four 'normal' episodes, which I enjoyed but I missed the daring creativity and originality of their concept episodes. I loved how the group's dynamic was explored through alternate timelines--a device that allowed the viewers to see how a certain character affects the group with and without his or her presence. There were sweet moments, insane moments, and hilarious moments. The darkest timeline will always delight me; it reminded me of Monty Python or South Park in its gratuity of the misery created by a temple of doom miniature.

TREME's "Carnival Time"--Written By David Simon & Eric Overmyer; Directed By Brad Anderson

"Carnival Time" could be my absolute favorite television episode of the calendar year. I was captivated throughout, momentarily transported to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Simon and Overmyer didn't bother creating a plot for their second Mardi Gras episode; instead, the episode followed our characters around New Orleans as they danced, sang, played music, ate good food, and enjoyed good company. Well, "Carnival Time" DID address several story threads. For example, Davis came to Sofia's rescue in a bar of all places. Albert proudly wore his Indian dress again. Nelson had the greatest day of all-time. Annie experienced a new way to celebrate New Orleans with Harley in rural Louisiana (I think). I just really loved "Carnival Time"--it transformed me into a dedicated and devoted fan of Treme after 1.5 seasons.

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES' "The Reckoning"--Written By Michael Narducci; Directed By John Behring

I think "The Reckoning" is the best episode TVD's produced. From the moment the episode begins it feels special, which is odd because the teaser begins with the Mystic Falls students preparing for Senior Prank Night. Klaus soon crashes the party and a whole mess of chaos is unleashed. Klaus compelled Stefan to kill Elena when the scoreboard hit zero. Matt killed himself so he could communicate with Vicki to learn how to stop Klaus. The various threads of the season came together in a magnificent 41 minutes. I'd be remiss if I ignored how #305 is, indeed, the fifth episode of the season. The momentum of the show didn't stop after "The Reckoning." Plot keeps moving like a 757 jet, which gives the impression season three could be an all-time great TV season. Dan Fienberg publicly praised the series on his best of TV 2011 list. Fienberg argued the show's fans don't need to refer to TVD as a guilty pleasure--just embrace how legitimately good this little CW show is, and if no one believes you, then oh well.

GAMES OF THRONES' "Baelor"--Written By David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; Directed By Alan Taylor

I'd never spoil "Baelor" for anyone who’s interested in reading the book or watching the series. I sort of undersold the ending of "Baelor" in my review. The ending's the most shocking scene of the year. I sat on my couch with my jaw wide open for sixty seconds after watching it. The internet exploded minutes after the conclusion and into the following day. The other shows that left me stunned and speechless are LOST, Buffy, ANGEL, Firefly and Dollhouse. I decided to read A Song of Ice and Fire after "Baelor," convinced of GRRM's quality as a storyteller. Indeed, the following four books vary between good, very good, great, and excellent. LOST and those other shows used to stun and shock with twists. I'll confidently write that there are twists-to-come in GOT that surpass what happened in "Baelor." Game of Thrones is a series you need to watch, friends and well-wishers.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK


No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.