Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Best Episodes of 2011 (Part 3 of 5)

THE BEST EPISODES OF 2011 (Part 3 of 5)

I've reached the point of the best episodes of 2011 when readers will wonder if I watch anything else besides shows that I consistently list day after day in the Best Episodes of 2011. Truthfully, I doubt the readers will have any reaction whatsoever to the television shows listed, but I'd like to remind everyone that I wrote about many, many episodes of TV that weren't Louie, Always Sunny, Community, and Friday Night Lights. In fact, I never wrote about Louie or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I barely wrote about Community, and I wrote about FNL's final season during a two week span. I don't think highly of the shows I write about on a consistent basis. The likes of Revenge, No Ordinary Family and The Secret Circle aren't exactly blowing minds (in the case of NOF--DIDN'T) with their storytelling. How I Met Your Mother's been essentially atrocious since the end of season four. I recall just now that the new shows I wrote about in 2010-2011 weren't renewed for a second season.

Ideally, I'd write about the majority of great TV, but I don't. While I have admiration and love for the television business, I lack the interest in watching everything worthwhile. I'm a sports fan too. I love watching the Flyers when they play. I'm a fan of Sixer basketball. I'll watch college hoops. I watch football. I'm a humble, independent blogger without access to screeners. And I read, as I detailed on Monday. While I'd like to celebrate the very best of television, with full knowledge of every scripted programming to air in 2011, I do what I can with what I have.

IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA's "Sweet Dee Gets Audited"--Written By Rob McElhenny, Glenn Howerton & Charlie Day; Directed By Matt Shakman

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia produced several dark and offensive episodes in their history. Dennis remarks that what the gang did in this episode is definitely the darkest yet. Sweet Dee's audited by the IRS, so she invents a fake baby that's killed off for tax purposes. As the IRS closes in on Dee, the gang stages a fake funeral complete with advertisements from Frank and Dennis for Wolf Cola. I watched the episode on a Friday, with my mother, and I hadn't laughed so much in a long time. I laughed because the story went to such insane extremes. I also laughed whenever my mom reacted in horror to the fake funeral and the subsequent reveal of what was contained inside the coffin. I loved "Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games." Several other episodes were good or very good. "Sweet Dee Gets Audited" is on the level of "The Nightman Cometh." It is an all-time classic. The funeral itself wasn't a bucket of laughs. I was more or less stunned by the ballsy decision to 'go there.' What sent me over the edge was the shilling for Wolf Cola. Frank's the best whenever he sacrifices morals and integrity for a money opportunity. The season was terrific and highlighted with this hilarious and offensive episode.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' "Don't Go"--Written By Bridget Carpenter; Directed By Michael Waxman

Personally, "Don't Go" was the pinnacle of the final season of Friday Night Lights. I already wrote about "Always" but series finales usually disappoint me. "Always" is great but its awareness of being a series finale hindered the episode a bit. "Don't Go" is completely natural in its moments and not one scene feels manipulated or contrived or forced. The town and the team want Coach Taylor to stick around in Dillon despite recruitment from a D-IA college. Eric Taylor decides to stay. The town rejoices. I'm simplifying the story. "Don't Go" is a moving episode--the title's taken from the episode itself when Vince says to his coach, "don't go." Vince gets the team back in this episode. Coach gets his star player back. Also, Tim Riggins is released from prison, and he emerges from the experience more broken and dispirited than ever. Riggins will make peace with his brother and his life before the final frame of the series, though.


LOUIE'S "Subway/Pamela"--Written & Directed by Louis C.K.

The second half of the episode, "Pamela," contains one of the most heartbreaking moments in TV history. At a flea market, Louie opens up to Pamela about his love for her. The monologue's over 90 seconds, and it's sweet, honest and innocent. Pamela rejects him and promises that she'll always reject him, but she's sweet about her rejection. Louie's not Dawson Leery. The series isn't focused on melodrama or hysterics. His confession doesn't stop the two from getting dinner or going to the apartment. Indeed, Pamela wanted to take a bath with him, in a moment influenced by temporary affection, but Louie blew his chance because he was so bummed about what she said at the flea market and missed the sexual overture. "Subway" is great, too, though less beloved by the fans. It's a silent picture of Louie's experience on the NYC subway. As someone who's ridden his fair share of NYC subways, I related to what Louie witnesses.

TREME's "Do Whatcha Wanna"--Teleplay by David Simon; Story By David Simon & Anthony Bourdain; Directed By Ernest R. Dickerson

Treme's second season struck a chord with me. I didn't feel much about the first season. Somewhere along the line, though, I became invested in each of the characters' journeys. "Do Whatcha Wanna" is the second season finale. Characters repair fractured relationships, or realize what one's calling truly is, or has an epiphany about the importance of a city on one's mental psyche. The show's about struggle and recovery, and the finale's a microcosm of the show. The characters struggle but they'll recover. I recommend people give Treme a shot sometime.

COMMUNITY'S "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"--Written By Andrew Guest; Directed By Joe Russo

The study group, and Fat Neil, play Dungeons and Dragons for the entire episode. What possibly sounds dull and boring in a sentence is nothing like that on the screen. The game itself is tense. The episode's about the group dynamic, specifically Pierce's role as villain and Jeff's role as the anti-Pierce (who somehow becomes Pierce-ish in season three). It's a funny, entertaining and tense 22 minutes of TV. I don't know what else to write about it. Like many Community episodes, it's better if you just watch the episode.

WILFRED's "Identity"--Written David Zuckerman; Directed By Randall Einhorn

Wilfred's mostly hit-or-miss. I include the season finale because I was genuinely intrigued by the questions raised about Ryan's identity and, subsequently, Wilfred's. It was a moment that briefly caused me to re-consider what I watched in the previous 12 episodes. Now, I didn't re-watch episodes nor will I ever, but that kind of reaction is all too rare in storytelling these days. It's due time that I compliment Fiona Gubelmann on her phenomenal looks as well.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK



No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.