Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Life After Jacob's Foot: If the Flyers kept Randy Jones, do they win the Cup? YES.

Some will consider me insane. Others will not even deem what I'm about write with a response, instead making fun of the statement I'm about to release to the world. The statement is this:

If Paul Holmgren kept Randy Jones, the 2009-2010 Philadelphia Flyers would be Stanley Cup champions of hockey.



I made this statement in my head upon reading about Danny Syvret signing with the Ducks. If you recall, Jones was traded because of Danny Syvret. The problem Homer had this season was an inability to find two decent third line bluelines. We learned the Flyers could no doubt compete with the Chicago Blackhawks. We also learned they lacked the depth needed to knock off the Blackhawks. They were very, very close. I recall the poor play of the defense in Game 5 and the subsequent exhaustion in the final game of the series. As many fans know, this is because Laviolette and the coaches had zero confidence in Bartulus, Kraijeck and Parent. There's a few schools of thought regarding this predicament. I myself wondered whether or not the trio would've played better had Laviolette and Homer sent them out there instead of giving the top four massive ice time. The results could've been favorable and Pronger could've avoided his nightmarish Game 5.

Randy Jones is a solid NHL defenseman. I'm not going to argue that he's a 2nd line blueliner. I'm just going to argue that he's better than every 3rd line blueliner the Flyers used in the playoffs. He could've reduced the ice time of the big four thus preserving their freshness for the backend of the Cup finals when many players admitted that they were so tired (after game 6 of course). He would've helped the problem that Homer just spent about 6 million dollars to fix. Yes, the Flyers would have won the Cup if Randy Jones wasn't waived

Also, I will ignore the money he was making. Thank you.

This piece of writing has been brought to you by a lack of anything else to write about.

Tomorrow begins The Week of Whedon + 2 days (or as we in The Foot refer to it: Seven BusinessDays of Whedon). During those 7 days, I will mostly rank episodes from all four series the man has created as well as rank the best writers he brought in to his shows and rank the best Whedon directed episodes.

The San Diego Comic Con begins tomorrow. There is no LOST panel. Jeff Jensen of EW.com will moderate a panel with JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon. Expect links to reports from that because Joss is awesome, and I'm a supporter of JJ Abrams because of his contribution to LOST in the early days before he gave full rein to Damon Lindelof who then brought in Carlton Cuse.

So, yes, The Foot will be a happenin' place.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK

No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.