Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thoughts on 2012 Upfronts & The Secret Circle cancellation

I wrote two posts last year about the 2011 Upfronts. There will be no news at the actual Upfronts this year. Renewals, pick-ups, and cancellations happened within the last three days. Anyone looking for news on every renewal, pilot pick-up and cancellation should head to Deadline, Hitfix, Entertainment Weekly, etc. I'll just focus on what's relevant to TV With The Foot:

-Every new show I wrote about last season got cancelled. It was amazing. I needed to find a whole new group of shows to watch and write about. Only one show I wrote about during the 2011-2012 season got cancelled. Indeed, The CW's teenage witch show, The Secret Circle, won't be back. Thursday's finale disappointed me in the same way the entire season disappointed me.  I felt no excitement about the second season. I didn't want anyone to lose their jobs. I just didn't want to watch or write about it. Now, I will not even be tempted to write about another season of the show. I found out this morning at 7AM and wrote a tweet about it around 9:30AM. I don't know why I wrote a tweet about the news. Barely anyone READ my reviews of the show; however, my finale review got some traffic. Anyway, I wish everyone who worked on TSC the best. There were several good-to-very good episodes this season. One episode featured one of the best directed scenes in the entire 2011-2012 season.

-Revenge and Once Upon a Time finally received second season orders. ABC took its time renewing their two most successful new dramas. OUAT's success continues to baffle me. Revenge's success is less baffling. The 10PM Wednesday slot isn't easy to succeed in. Revenge broke the curse though. I'm astonished I continue to write about both. I'm more astonished by my plan to write about season two of Revenge. No idea if I'll write about season two of the fairy tale show.

-Grimm got a second season order awhile ago. Grimm emerged as my favorite new show of the season. From what I've read, NBC plans on promoting it during the Olympics and then launching it in early September. It is well-deserved.

-ABC cancelled The River yesterday. I won a bet with a friend. I got a kick out of the show for its 7 week run.

-FOX ordered Kevin Williamson's serial killer drama to series. Kevin Bacon stars as the serial killer. Dan Fienberg of Hitfix.com said the pilot script is bad, which is worrisome. I'll watch whatever Williamson puts on TV. Shawn Ryan's Last Resort has been ordered to series by ABC. I wrote about his last two shows, Terriers and The Chicago Code. The CW ordered Arrow to series, which is based off the DC comic, but won't feature the Smallville actor who portrayed The Green Arrow. NBC ordered a bunch of comedies and renewed their old comedies, including Community, which is my favorite show on TV. I'll write much more about every new show and returning show across the five networks in August.

-I'm planning on writing about different finales this week. I'd like to check in on Hart of Dixie despite not having watched a single episode since the premiere. I'll check in on Hawaii Five-O, Person of Interest, Community, and other random shows if the mood strikes.

-I don't have anything else to write about. Carry on with your night.

No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.