Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The 2012 Summer Re-Watch: Dawson's Creek "Tamara's Return" Review

Re-watches are great. Each time I re-watch Arrested Development, I pick up a new joke or remember an old one. This applies to dramas, too, wherein I remember a particularly effective moment, or realize something I missed as a dopey teenager. I've re-watched Dawson's Creek several times. One shouldn't boast about this fact by the way. It is what it is. There are differences between writing about an old TV show and a current TV show. I can't think out an argument against or for a particular arc for a current TV the way I can for Dawson's Creek or Everwood. I still argue for or against an arc during the season, but the chance exists for the argument to fall apart, because I don't know where the story is going. I know exactly where Dawson's Creek is going; however, I still forget about some of the details of a story. For instance, I knew what I wanted to write about Joey's arc in "Tamara's Return." I planned on ripping it apart; but then a scene happened that I forgot about and I re-considered.

So I'll start with Joey Potter and her sudden desire to pursue an artistic hobby. Stupin and Williamson admitted on their S2 commentary track for "The Kiss" that they weren't interested in keeping Dawson and Joey together for the season. Both felt fans loved the will-they-won't-they element of their relationship. I already wrote about this in my review of "The Dance" that I posted last summer as part of the summer re-watch (I thought I would write about season three this summer and wanted to comment on their relationship). Joey became someone who resented herself for defining herself through Dawson. She starts to paint in an effort to carve out her own identity in her Dawson-dominated existence. I remembered the Joey-as-artist as a product of lazy writing; that she just became an artist because the writers knew it'd divide her and Dawson. I thought Joey could've done anything and the same results would follow. Joey actually hesitates before she takes an art class. Joey doubts herself; she's full of insecurities and anxieties, and she needs encouragement from Laura. Joey remembers her mother drawing pictures for her and Bessie, which makes her think art is a way to stay connected to her mom. Well, I couldn't mercilessly destroy this Joey arc after that. I respond to these kinds of stories about staying connected to a parent after their death.

Joey takes the art class and draws paintings because of her memory of her mother. Unfortunately, this aspect of the story falls away. Joey needs to paint a picture for her first assignment. The creative process is frustrating for her. Ideas don't come easily. She forces the paint onto the canvas rather than let her hand be guided. Joey's inspirations are practically non-existent so she draws a picture of Dawson, which doesn't make her happy, because it confirms her fear that Dawson dominates her life and how outside of him she doesn't know who she is. Joey treated Dawson badly in previous scenes. Dawson criticized abstract expressionist art. Joey hated him for that. Jack McPhee, the pratfall-prone brother of Andie, knew so much about abstract expressionist art. Dawson viewed the art as 'messy' and 'meaningless' whereas Jack viewed the art as 'passionately meaningful.' Dawson's opinions would be surprising for any other character who defines him or her self as a filmmaker; but Dawson is a self-absorbed ass so his ability to completely insult Joey's interests is par for the course for him. No piece of art is as powerful as Spielberg movie in Dawson's world. Joey pushed him away, and Dawson had no idea why.

Dawson and Joey reconciled in "Crossroads" but reconciliation doesn't happen in "Tamara's Return." Joey doesn't want to tell Dawson what she thinks her feelings about him mean for their relationship. Dawson flares the nostrils and sighs heavily--a sign of emotional turmoil which is played horribly by James Van Der Beek. Obviously, nothing good will happen. I already spoiled this plot point last summer (it's been 14 years though so it's fair game). My older, wiser self doesn't defend Dawson in the way my 16 year old self would, but I feel for Dawson. The drama came out of nowhere. He could've respected Joey's interests more, but Joey shouldn't have treated him so badly afterwards. Dawson can't fix the relationship because Joey tells him he can't. The problems stem entirely from her, and it's going to be Joey who ultimately decides how much longer he'll be with her.

I hate everything about the Tamara character. I barely wrote about the storyline during my season one re-watch. I dislike how future show runners never let go of Pacey's affair with his teacher. Later seasons used it to explain Pacey's poor decisions with women i.e. his affinity for older women bit him in the ass again. Tamara returns to sell property to Mitch Leery. Pacey runs into her. The former lovers have a 'Pinter' moment followed by an unnecessary scene about subtext. They say goodbye. Pacey is able to move on peacefully. Did Pacey need to work through his Tamara issues to truly 'see' Andie? No, well, only for this episode. Andie now likes Pacey. Pacey might like her. He continues to tease her. Andie watches Tamara leave and asks Pacey if he knew her. Pacey smiles and says, "I did." She's the past; Andie is the future.

"Tamara's Return" has a C story but it's even less interesting than the B story. Abby pulls Jen out of her post-Dawson-rejected-me funk only to turn heel on Jen when a bearded man who'd definitely go to jail for hooking up with either girl fancies Jen more than Abby Morgan. Abby's hurt and jealous. Abby feels betrayed because she just pulled Jen out of sadness, and Jen betrayed her. Only Jen didn't betray her but whatever. Why am I writing about this story? It goes absolutely nowhere.

"Tamara's Return" isn't a good episode. I seem to remember something about Dawson's Creek being a three-act season or something. Maybe I read it in a Kevin Williamson biography. Maybe I made it up myself when I was teenager and creating my own melodramatic teenage drama on Microsoft Word 97 in which I crafted a season in three acts. The second season of Dawson's Creek has three distinct acts. These storylines keep going for a few weeks, but by episode 10 there are new storylines, and by episode 17 or so there are NEW storylines. Anyway, I quite enjoy the next batch of episodes. They're fun. The set-up for these stories is done. Most importantly, Jen's going to be very awesome very soon. Dawson's Creek is more tolerable with an awesome Jen Lindley.

Other Thoughts:

-Dawson and Joey shared a romantic moment in the teaser. Any of their romantic moments are horrifying to watch.

-For a second I thought Mitch had no clue about Tamara's past. His ignorance of her would've been the most Mitch thing in the world of Dawson's Creek. Mitch Leery is a moron.

-Mike White wrote the episode, his second consecutive credit. Jesus Trevino directed it.

UP NEXT: "Full Moon Rising"--Parental problems cast a shadow over Dawson and Joey's new romance. Pacey is troubled when he sees the McPhee's home life and struggles to comfort Andie when she unloads her emotions onto him. Jen has a date that makes Abby jealous and Joey and Jack share a late night kiss (from Wikipedia).

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK


No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.