Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

2011-2012 Fall TV Preview: the New Shows on NBC

As I write, every news outlet's providing wall-to-wall coverage of Hurricane Irene. Naturally, I assume my readers wonder if Irene will affect the blog. The storm's definitely going to pound my city and many other cities and towns. In fact, I'll be making the trek south to check on possible damage. The Foot won't be affected by the hurricane, though. After all, I'm in the midst of a Fall TV Preview and scrambling to finish the Everwood re-watch before the official end of summer. Earlier in the week, I wrote about CBS as ten seconds of earthquake hit. The blog's built to endure all sorts of natural disasters.

Anywho, today's the last day of the previews for new TV shows. Last year, I promised to review shows that I abandoned after two episodes despite my declaration that I write about a show no matter how bad it gets. Well, I changed my tune this season. I only committed 100% to two shows that don't premiere until October (spoiler alert: the second show is Grimm). The new shows just aren't exciting. I have an idea of what the weekly schedule will be. Mid-season features more exciting television. As for NBC, the network's been managed as poorly as the Baltimore Orioles. I don't think any of their new shows for the fall will receive a second season, let alone save the network. If I'm an NBC executive, I'm banking on Smash and Awake in mid-season. Read on for all you need to know about their new dramas and comedies this fall:

FREE AGENTS



Created By John Enbom

Premiere Date: Wednesday, September 14 at 8:30PM

Premise: (from NBC's press release, May 2011) "Free Agents" is a crooked workplace/romantic new comedy  based on the cult U.K. series of the same name that explores the trials and tribulations of two public relations executives on the rebound.

Thoughts: John Enbom developed the American version of Free Agents. Enbom, of course, ran the terrific Party Down for two seasons on Starz. I'm skeptical of every show America stole from England because American writers have a long history of not understanding what made the show worked overseas. The show stars Hank Azaria and Kathryn Hahn, two talented and funny actors. In the 3.5 minute preview, they have good chemistry. Beyond the initial pilot premise, I'm unsure what the week-to-week episodes will be about. Anthony Stewart Head portrays a quirky boss. I assume each episode will mix work and sex. It could work. We'll see. I won't write about the show.

Chance of Weekly Review: 0%

GRIMM



Created By David Greenwalt & Jim Kouf

Premiere Date: Friday, October 21 at 9PM

Premise: (from NBC's press release, May 2011) "Grimm" is a new drama series inspired by the classic Grimm's Fairy Tales. Remember the fairy tales your parents used to tell you before bedtime? Those weren't stories -- they were warnings.

Thoughts: Grimm certainly won't be for everyone. The premise is sort of ridiculous but I'm excited for the show because of David Greenwalt. Greenwalt worked with Joss on Buffy and ANGEL for six seasons. Greenwalt's received some credit for the quality of early Buffy. The man knows genre, understands character and how to incorporate myth without sacrificing the character. The main character in Grimm's the lone Grimm left on earth, so he's responsible for keeping people safe from the monsters they read about as children. I'm interested in the contemporary use of the Brothers Grimm fairytales. I'm also just excited to watch a David Greenwalt show again.

Chance of Weekly Review: 100%

THE PLAYBOY CLUB



Created By Chad Hodge

Premiere Date: Monday, September 19

Amber Heard stars in The Playboy Club
Premise: (from NBC's press release, May 2011) From Academy Award-winning executive producer Brian Grazer, "The Playboy Club" is a provocative new drama about a time and place that challenged the social mores, where a visionary entrepreneur created an empire and an icon changed American culture. It's the early '60s, and the legendary Playboy Club in Chicago is the door to all of your fantasies -- and the key is the most sought-after status symbol of its kind. Inside the seductive world of the bunny, the epitome of beauty and service, the clientele rubs shoulders with the decade's biggest mobsters, politicos and entertainers.

Thoughts: The Playboy Club is another Mad Men wanna-be. The club setting allows Chad Hodge and his writers to tell a myriad of stories involving gangsters, actors and other powerful people. The thought of another Mad Men wanna-be's not appealing to me; however, Amber Heard's portrays the most prominent female character in the show and I adore the actress. I'm prone to watching various television shows just because of an actress, so yeah, I'll tune in for some episodes of The Playboy Club. I don't really care for their version of Don Draper or the inciting incident that kick-starts the long-form narrative and brings Amber Heard closer with the Don Draper type. But, at the end of the day, Amber Heard's in the show, so I'm tuning in.

Chance of Weekly Review: 11%

PRIME SUSPECT



Created By Alexandra Cunningham

Premiere Date: Thursday, September 22 at 10PM

Premise: (from NBC press release, May 2011) Timoney finds that being a homicide detective in New York City is tough enough and having to contend with a male-dominated police department to get respect makes it that much tougher. She's an outsider who has just transferred to a new precinct dominated by an impenetrable clique of a boys' club. Timoney has her own vices too -- with a questionable past -- and she tends to be forceful, rude and reckless. But she's also a brilliant cop who keeps her eye on one thing: the prime suspect.

Thoughts: Initially, I thought NBC hadn't cancelled Chase because Prime Suspect, at a distance, seems like Chase. There's the tough-as-nails female cop surrounded by men who don't respect her. In the preview, there's a bit where Bello swears to find a criminal for a child, just like in Chase's preview last season. Bello has great screen presence. Timoney doesn't seem too different from other lead female characters in a procedural. They all have the same basic make-up--strong, determined, tough, snarky, etc. Prime Suspect should be a good series for fans of procedurals. I never enjoyed procedurals, though.

Chance of Weekly Review: 0%

UP ALL NIGHT



Created By Emily Spivey

Premiere Date: Wednesday, September 14 at 8PM

Premise: (from NBC's press release, May 2011) From Emily Spivey (NBC's "Parks and Recreation," NBC's "Saturday Night Live") and legendary Emmy Award-winning producer Lorne Michaels, comes "Up All Night," a modern take on parenthood that shows the challenges of balancing a career, marriage and a new baby.

Thoughts: I'm sure you've seen the promos on NBC of Applegate seductively talking to the audience before we discover she's a tired new mother seeking some relief from her parental burden. The modern take on parenthood is a popular narrative now. FOX has a drama about modern parenthood. The media went gaga for that book which implored a child to get the f--- to sleep. I'll probably appreciate these takes on parenthood when I become a parent. I don't know. I wonder how many fresh takes there are for these parenthood narratives. Generally, new parents complain about the same thing. If I want to read about parenthood, I'll read Drew Magary's tirades against parenthood as well as his subsequent praise of it. So, I assume much of the show will find its comedy in the trials of taking care of a baby but its heart will be how special it is to have a child.

Chance of Weekly Review: 0%

WHITNEY



Created By Whitney Cummings

Premiere Date: Thursdays, September 22 at 9:30PM

Premise: (from NBC's press release, May 2011) A hilarious look at modern love, "Whitney" is a new multi-camera comedy series about Whitney (Whitney Cummings, "Chelsea Lately") and Alex (Chris D'Elia, "Glory Daze"), a happily unmarried couple. Together for five years, the duo is in no rush to get hitched. However, after attending yet another one of their friends' weddings, Whitney realizes that she and Alex are dangerously close to relationship boredom.

Thoughts: Of the two Whitney Cummings show, 2 Broke Girls is more promising. Whitney doesn't seem bad--it just seems average. For a network that gave Dan Harmon the chance to write his show without conforming to the standards of the network sitcom, I would've expected the network to let Cummings create a show with more edge. Instead, the series is basically generic. The show's built on its reversal of social norms and conventions. Her and her boyfriend live happily as boyfriend and girlfriend rather than as a wedded couple, she's unsure of wedding etiquette, unsure of how to be sexy, etc. Whitney Cummings' is energetic, though, and I expect a cable comedy of hers to be great--just not her NBC one.

Chance of Weekly Review: 0%

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK


No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.