Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Cape and The Chicago Code

Call me Scrooge McDuck, if you will, but I enjoy the normalcy of the non-holiday season or, as Catholicism coined it, Ordinary Time (a rather terrible name). Of course, I enjoy the company and fellowship of my family as well as the philanthropic spirit that people develop. But he hustle and bustle ends. Blood pressure returns to normal for everyone.

Most importantly, no more Best Of lists. I estimate over 1 million Best Of lists (or Worst Of lists or both) were written in the span of the last two weeks when the networks constantly aired movies or holiday specials that are older than me. I understand the reason for the plethora of lists. Critics need to write about television or movies, and nothing new exists during the last two weeks of the year. Not only does one have to read endlessly about the brilliance of Mad Men or Breaking Bad but every critic needs to take their final jabs at the final season of LOST. Besides myself, Jeff Jensen, Dan Snierson, and possibly TVGuide's Matt Roush, LOST was the kid who continues to get kicked despite being down. Five months of insulting the season AND the series wasn't enough for the critics of television, they had exclude it from their exulted top 10 list and, for the millionth time, bitch about the lack of answers and resolution to the show's mysteries. Let it go, critics. LOST was awesome and the best series I've ever watched.

Besides that annoyance, the lists featured many commentors who would either praise the critic for placing a certain show in the top 10 or blast the critic for NOT placing a certain show in the top 10. Yes, a person who gets paid a yearly salary to watch and write about televison will have a more authoritative voice in popular culture than a guy who writes for free on blogger. Do not lean on a professional critic to validate your love for a show. Critics don't exactly sway large groups of people to watch a certain television show. Every critic adored Terriers and the show barely averaged 500,000 viewers a week. Likewise, if critics hated True Blood, don't go insane.

In the end, it's all subjective.

Anywho, The Foot will soon return to its weekly reviews as new episodes air. How I Met Your Mother returns tonight. No Ordinary Family returns tomorrow night and then other shows will return in a few weeks. I need new shows to write about on a weekly basis, which is the reason for today's post. Unlike the summer, when I previewed each network's new shows in search for the shows to join the review rotation, I already chose two new shows.

The first show premieres on Sunday night, at 9PM with a two hour episode while the second show will wait for the night after the Super Bowl to premiere.

The first show is NBC's The Cape. The series stars David Lyons as Vince Faraday, a former cop who is unjustly framed for crimes he didn't commit. He loses his family and takes on the persona of The Cape, a super hero from his friend's favorite comic book. He has a band of misfits who help him fight crime in the city along with Orwell (Summer Glau), a blogger who wages war on corruption and crime in Palm City.

I have no idea whether the show will be good or not. I've yet to read any reviews. The previews on NBC look decent enough. I chose to write about the show solely for Summer Glau's involvement. Aside from Summer Glau, I worry that Tom Wheeler (the creator) will fall into the same trap that Tim Kring, Greg Berlanti and Jon Harmon Feldman fell into with their own respective superhero series. Thankfully, the main character doesn't possess super-human abilities like the HEROES characters and the Powell family in No Ordinary Family. Faraday seems like a Batman or Iron Man superhero--a vigilante who doesn't trust the law enforcement of Palm City. Summer Glau deserves a successful series though. Nathan Fillion found one with Castle. It is Summer's turn now.

The second show is The Chicago Code, from Shawn Ryan (The Shield, The Unit, Terriers). It's about Chicago cops who aim to destroy the corruptive empire that the police chief built, and the audience will be the passenger along for the ride (whatever the hell that means). Shawn Ryan's earned my trust after Terriers (I never watched The Shield or The Unit). Tim Minear's an executive producer of the show (of ANGEL, Firefly, Dollhouse, Drive, The Inside, Wonderfalls and Terriers fame). Minear's one of the best writiers in the industry. Hopefully he got to direct an episode.

Additionally, Man Vs. Wild returns the week after Valentine's Day so I will, once again, write about each Bear Grylls adventure. Also, I'd prefer to watch the original BBC Being Human but I might write about the American adaptation of the series that will premiere on SyFy in a few weeks. Plus, the Classic TV Episode write-up will continue. TV With The Foot will have plenty of content in 2011.

Stop by later this evening for my How I Met Your Mother review.

SCREENPLAY OF THE DAY

Aaron Sorkin--The Social Network--http://wiscreenwritersforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Social-Network-The-by-Aaron-Sorkin-May-28-2009.pdf

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK

No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.