Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Foot: The World of Quotes

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="585" caption="usual-suspects.com"][/caption]

Before I begin today's dose of prose, I'd like to thank Whedonesque.com for linking The Seven Business Days of Whedon thing I did last week. Whedonesque is a favorite site of mine that I've frequented for years now. I found out about ANGEL's cancellation on the site, Andy Hallett's death, Dr. Horrible, Dollhouse, the comics etc on whedonesque.com. I'm quite grateful for Seven Business Days of Whedon spotlight.

If you want the truth. I'm just posting today because of THE QUOTES feature. Some good ones showed up last night. Consider this a test run: can I devote a full post to just quotes? We shall see.

THE QUOTES

Today, the world of quotes will include the NBA, MLB, MLS and NHL. It's a jam-packed edition. I'm excited. Are you? Remember, this is plastic spoon week in The Foot. Comment and you get a plastic spoon. We're going to start off with Dwayne Wade of the Miami Heat!

DWAYNE WADE, TURNING HEEL WHEN DISCUSSING THE MIAMI HEAT ROAD GAMES (YAHOO.COM's NBA BLOG)
"I understand people are going to say stuff. And we accept it with open arms," Wade said. "And even on the road, because every place is going to sell out when we come to town. So [opposing teams] can thank us now."

While Wade is probably correct that every opposing team's arena will sell out when the Heat come to town, Wade should've just kept quiet. I've grown weary of the big three opening their mouths about the Miami Heat. Unfortunately, a lot of people care about the Miami Heat and the new big three, which is why Lebron taking out a thank you ad in Akron, and not Cleveland, is big news. Many people are looking forward to the NBA season more than usual because of the Miami Heat. I'm looking forward to the season less because of the team. Of course, I'm more excited about the 76ers season because of the moves they made but the NBA, as a whole, does not excite me.

I think Wade, Lebron and Bosh could evolve into the three most annoying athletes of this or any generation; their only competition will come from T.O. and Ochocinco in Cincy--but I'll probably get a kick out of those two. At least with Ochocinco and Owens, the two will act like morons and I will laugh. The Big Three have displayed zero silliness or sense of humor since they began building their collective brand. I don't doubt the team will be fun to watch. I have no doubts that Bosh or James or Wade will appear weekly in this space once the regular season begins.

FRANK YALLOP, SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES COACH, ON LOSING 1-0 TO THE SEATTLE SOUNDERS (Daily News)
"It was a massive game for us, and we just laid down and died, to be honest."

I wonder if the coach took a massive Joaquin Phoenix-esque sigh before uttering those words.

JEREMY GUTHRIE, ON THE FIRST WIN OF THE BUCK SHOWALTER ERA IN BALTIMORE (mlb.com)
"It felt like a nice Opening Day for us," said Guthrie, who was excited to come to Camden Yards after watching Showalter's introductory news conference on Monday.

I imagine the entire Orioles roster wishes it actually was Opening Day considering they are 33-73 and 33.5 games back in the AL East.

MIKE SCIOSCIA, ON ORIOLES PITCHER JEREMY GUTHRIE (Associated Press)
"Guthrie has as good an arm as there is in our league for a right-hander," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He has good stuff, really good stuff. I know he's not having statistically a good year, but he pitched well tonight."

If the Oswalt deal fell through, I wanted Ruben to pursue trading for Guthrie. Of course, the O's had no interest trading him because he's the only reliable arm in that rotation right now. He's one of the more underrated pitchers in baseball. Sure he helped destroy two fantasy baseball post-seasons for me the last two years but I hope that the Orioles turn it around in the next two years or Guthrie escapes. He could be a no.2 pitcher in any NL rotation.

JOSE BAUTISTA, ON YESTERDAY'S 8-2 WIN OVER THE YANKEES (mlb.com)
"Everything means so much for us, too," Bautisa said. "We're trying to win every game possible. We are not counting ourselves out of anything yet. We've got two months of baseball. That's a lot of baseball games, and we have a ton of games within our division with teams that are on top of us. It's time to gain that ground."

Can the Blue Jays actually catch up in the AL East or Wildcard? They lost today 6-1. I have no snarky words because Jose Bautista is a monster for my fantasy team. I only want to know: can the Blue Jays make up any ground?

RICKY ROMERO, ON LAST NIGHT'S DOMINATING PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE YANKEES (mlb.com)
"I didn't let anything rattle me," Romero said. "I just went out there and kind of did my job and let the defense work."

"Kind of did my job"? Romero was out of this world last night! He pitched a complete game and retired the last 26 of 27 batters he faced IN YANKEE STADIUM. I guess Ricky Romero is a humble man. Say something like "they couldn't BLEEPIN' stop me."

PETER LAVIOLETTE, ON BIG MINUTES FOR DEFENSEMEN (Daily News)
"I think when you get into playing defensemen 30 minutes a night, it takes a toll on those players," Laviolette said to the team's public relations staff.

I also think such minutes take a toll on the confidence of those d-men not playing. Laviolette does feel confident in all six of his blue liners now. I just didn't include that part.

JUAN PIERRE, WHITE SOX OUTFIELDER, AFTER HITTING HIS FIRST HOME RUN IN TWO YEARS (mlb.com)
"That's my second home run here, actually," Pierre said. "My other one was inside the park. I was real shocked because it was a breaking ball. Most of my home runs, I let the pitching supply most of the power. But I think it was a breaking ball, and I hit it good. Guys can get off my back now about not hitting home runs."

OZZIE GUILLEN, WHITE SOX MANAGER, ON THE JUAN PIERRE HOME RUN (mlb.com)
"If you go to Las Vegas and bet, you never thought Juan would hit a home run in Detroit," said a smiling White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of his leadoff man's power burst. "This is one of the hardest ballparks to hit a home run. But he swings the bat pretty good."

I thought these two quotes were enjoyable.

Moving on.

Two months ago, I provided a list of possible TV shows I would review. Weeks ago, I re-visited the list and provided thoughts on each one of those shows because I did not bother to review any of them. The Fall Television Season looms in a month or so. The mediocre summer season of television will wrap up. Along with returning shows, the fall will have a full slate of new, promising series. Very soon I will assemble a list of shows that could very well be reviewed in The Foot. The list won't be assembled today because that is an idea for a week when I'm struggling for something to write about. Feel free to suggest a show for The Foot to review. Remember, anyone who comments receives a brand new plastic spoon all this week. Quad Blogs is a friendly website for all commenters. Each Friday, over at Post Collegiate Apocalypse, a person can win MANY stuffed animals if you correctly guess which movie the scene of mystery came from.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK

1 comment:

Colin said...

haha i love the baby sinclair clip. i forgot all about the random hands in the fridge!! awesome show

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.