Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Foot: The Walking Dead, Terriers and some HBO show

Tuesday doesn't seem like the most exciting day to dive into the world of cable television. Writing about cable television shows seems like something one does on a Thursday. I don't know why. Nevertheless, today is all about assessing the new shows premiering in the fall on various cable OR premium channels.

My number one guide for new shows in the fall does not have every cable/premium channel show in an organized way like they do for the five networks. As will be the case throughout the week, I'm trying to determine which shows will be reviewed weekly in The Foot. Of course, should any screeners come my way, a show will guarantee a spot in the review rotation. I'm not a fan of reality television but I'm not ruling out the next Real World/Road Rules challenge because the show is a delight.

Instead of separating the new shows by channel, I will merely list which channel will air said new show. Also, I will actually include premiere dates for the rest of the week. I meant to yesterday but became distracted and forgot. Anywho, here we go:

The Walking Dead



Channel: AMC

Premiere Date: October 2010 (Date TBA)

Creator: Robert Kirkman (Comic Book) & Frank Darabont (TV)

Premise: (From AMC Press Release) The Walking Dead tells the story of the weeks and months that follow a pandemic zombie apocalypse. County Sheriff Rick Grimes travels with his family and a small group of survivors, constantly in search of a safe and secure home. But the constant pressure of fighting off death on a daily basis takes a heavy toll, sending many to the lowest depths of human cruelty. As Rick struggles to keep his family alive, he will discover that the overwhelming fear of the survivors can be far more dangerous than the mindless walkers roaming the earth.

Thoughts: I admit I only became aware of the series after talking with Colin of PCA. The above YouTube video is the trailer though the quality is poor because it's from Comic Con. I didn't find a high quality trailer on YouTube to embed. My apologies. AMC plans on premiering the show during the channel's Fear Fest, the annual marathon of horror movies leading up to All Hallow's Eve. People adore the comic book and I do enjoy genre shows quite a lot. The zombie craze hasn't reached the levels of the vampire craze. Is it even a craze? In recent years, zombies have entered the pop culture spectrum. I doubt young girls can find the ideal romantic hero in a zombie tale. As a child, I enjoyed zombie films. Me and my sister used to rent old, campy zombie films from the now extinct West Coast Video. Who can forget about the great zombies in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video? My personal history with zombies aside, the premise of The Walking Dead is extremely compelling. I always enjoy tales that explore the humanity of mankind in the face of awful situations and circumstances.

The Walking Dead's first season will be short--only six episodes. I've read that season two will be 13 episodes. Regardless, The Walking Dead has the potential to be awesome.

Before I give the percentage for chances of reviewing, I'd like to gauge the interest of Post Collegiate Apocalypse in reviewing the first season. If you want to, it's all yours. As for me...

Chances Of Weekly Review: 87%

Terriers



Channel: FX

Premiere Date: September 8, 2010 at 10PM

Creator: Ted Griffin

Premise: (From FX Press Release) A comedic drama that centers on "Hank Dolworth" (Logue), an ex-cop who partners with his best friend "Britt Pollack" (Raymond-James) to launch an unlicensed private investigation business. The duo, both struggling with maturity issues, solve crimes while avoiding danger and responsibility.

Thoughts: The writing staff is stacked. Tim Minear, of ANGEL and Firefly flame, is on the staff as well as former ANGEL writer and the creator of The Shield, Shawn Ryan. Ted Griffin, the creator, is from Ocean's Eleven. The show has earned great reviews and the potential, with the talent of those writers alone, is huge. Luckily, very few people read press releases for shows because the premise that FX wrote is really week. The show has a lot of promise based on the trailer; however, I think I'll need to watch the pilot and write about it to determine whether or not to review it weekly. Craig Brewer directed the pilot.

Chances Of Weekly Review: 60%

Boardwalk Empire



Channel: HBO

Premiere Date: September 19, 2010 at 9PM

Creator: Terrence Winter

Premise: (From HBO Press Release) Set in 1920 at the dawn of Prohibition, this new series chronicles the life and times of "Nucky" Thompson, the undisputed leader of Atlantic City, who was equal parts politician and gangster.

Thoughts: Martin Scorcese directed the pilot. Mark Wahlberg is an executive producer. Steve Buscemi stars. I'm definitely watching the show but I doubt I'll review it. It's on a premium channel and I do not want to isolate any readers. As always with HBO, the production values are top-notch and the cast should knock it out of the park every week. I'm a fan of period pieces and look forward to the look of Atlantic City in the 20s. Critics are raving about the series. I think it'll be tremendous.

Chances Of Weekly Review: 0%

Tomorrow, I explore what The CW and FOX have up their sleeves for the fall season.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK

No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.