Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jacob's Foot: Raised By Another & Claire

THE 'LOST' EPISODE OF THE DAY

The episode: Raised By Another

Original Airdate: December 1, 2004

Written By: Lynne E. Litt

Directed By: Marita Grabiak



Content: After experiencing terrifying nightmares two days in a row, Claire begins to think that someone is trying to hurt her baby. In response, Hurley decides to start a census of all the survivors. Flashbacks in this episode focus on Claire's struggle with accepting the fact that she has to raise her unborn child herself.



Why It's Worth Re-Watching: This space isn't going to be about why the episode is worth re-watching as much as it'll be a space I use to share some thoughts about Claire. The recent Lost Supper promo picture has people's minds in a tizzy. It's now the backround of my laptop so I spend a good amount of time looking at the picture. Claire is the most fascinating of the whole picture. Forget about the other characters present. It's all about Claire. Doc Jensen of EW.com noted that Claire's the only character whose shirt is not visible. Furthermore, I add, she is the only one who is completely covered. Doc Jensen suggests Claire is one of the major mysteries of season six. I agree wholeheartedely. She hasn't been seen since "Cabin Fever" in season four. Miles offered veiled morbid opinions about her condition, telling no one in particular that she could very well be dead or dying or who knows. Remember, she was in the house Keamy blew up. Soon after that, Christian visits her by the fire and she leaves with him, leaving Aaron in a tree.

Naturally, the teaser of "Raised By Another" takes on a grander kind of significance with five seasons completed. Here is that teaser:



I'm aware of the context of this scene. I know I've written about my disdain for theories and this entry might turn into a semi-theory. Contextually, the teaser sets up the central story of the episode. Claire desires to give her baby up for adoption in the flashback but Malkin, the psychic, states that only Claire can raise the child, that Claire's goodness is essential to Aaron. So a very eerie looking Locke tells her she gave him away and now everyone pays the price as he draws psychic cards from a deck.

However, with what we know now, the scene takes on new significance. John Locke is no longer John Locke. Symbolically speaking, Locke's right eye is black, his left white. Of course one thinks about Jacob and Not Locke! And one can infer, based on Christian's interactions with Locke and the insistence that Locke had to die when it appears that Locke did not have to die at all and that he was simply being used, Christian is not a friend of Jacob. Also, Christian used to hang in the Cabin. The Man in Black could very well be every one of the Walking Dead but that's no concern of mine. Remember, I have a bad relationship with the theory world.

Anywho, this episode sets up the essential relationship that is Claire and Aaron. I remember when I realized Claire would not be getting on the helicopter with Aaron, I began yelling to no one in particular that Claire and Aaron are supposed to be together. Heck I haven't stopped yelling about that since that 2008 episode in which Claire disappeared. Even Kate suffered in the rankings for assuming the role of mother in Aaron's life. This episode made such a believer out of me in Claire's importance to Aaron that I in no way bought what Malkin tried to sell, a year and a half later in tv audience time, to Eko in season two's episode "?" about him not being a real psychic because this man was convinced AND possessed about making sure Claire alone raised the child. I fully believe Malkin knew Oceanic 815 would crash on that Island. Yes, I am aware this is only a fictional television show. Re-watching this episode will only pique even more interest in Claire and Aaron's story.

As for the rest of the episode, Hurley has the idea to figure out who is who in the Island and goes about a census. There's a fantastic exchance between Hurley and Locke and Shannon utters the famous "rape caves" line. Jack doesn't believe that Claire is actually being attacked. I wonder if he'd be more sympathetic to her if he knew then that he was Claire's brother. Charlie sort of tells Claire about his feelings for her to which she doesn't react well but, by episode end, they are friends and she does trust Charlie. And, of course, we find out Ethan is part of The Others in one of my favorite moments of LOST. I remember flipping out doubly because I would miss the next episode due to a school retreat. Oh, LOST. What a show.

Overall, Claire's story in this episode is as potent as it was that magical wednesday December 1 night in 2004. I re-watched it last week and it still had my mind going about the stuff I brought up above. Emilie de Ravin is superb in this episode. It's her best episode of LOST. The writer and director of this episode (Lynne E. Litt and Marita Grabiak) are no longer with the show but both did a masterful job with the episode as did the entire crew of LOST.

Suffice to say, Claire's story is one of my Most Anticipated as the days dwindle until season six begins. As always, here in The Foot, I try to go back in order to (sort of) look forward. I wrote an entry on Par Avion a few months ago and spent some time discussing Maternity Leave in my Whatever Happened, Happened recap so there's plenty of Claire thoughts in The Foot.

No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.