Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

2011-2012 Fall TV Preview: the Returning Shows on CBS

Last year I mailed in the CBS preview like a terrible NBA team in the final week of the season. Of course, I enjoyed the format of last year's preview so much that I've used it for the entire week. I don't know why I began the entry with those two sentences.

As I prepared for the week of previewing returning shows, I became aware of how many returning shows CBS will air this television season. The number angered me. I re-counted to confirm my initial math. Indeed, I still possess the ability to count correctly--CBS brought back fifteen shows for the fall. Of the 15 shows returning, I doubt the people of earth care about any more than four or five their shows. I'm probably wrong though. The network boasts that it's the most-watched network. The majority of their shows have been on the air since the Bush Administration. CBS audiences are fiercely loyal to a fault, in my opinion.

As per usual, I have little to write about the network as a whole. I used my overall network thoughts last week during the preview of new shows. Today marks the end of the 2011-2012 Fall TV Preview. If you missed any of the entries, the categories list is your friend as is the archive section on your right hand side. I'll preview returning and new series in mid-season sometime in January. I hope people enjoyed the last two weeks of previews. Read on for the conclusion of the preview:

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER returns Monday, September 19 at 8PM

How I Met Your Mother's probably my least favorite show on TV. I wrote about the majority of season six. I'll write about the seventh season. People might wonder why I'll write about a show I despise more and more with each episode. Perhaps I relish the opportunity to mercilessly criticize the sitcom. I don't. How I Met Your Mother's just a bad show now. Six seasons in and we're no closer to the identity of the mother. Instead, the show runners hint or tease towards some monumental future events. In the season finale, we learned that Barney's going to marry someone. Who? We'll find out in season 13. Ted meets the mother at the wedding. I don't even know why I criticzed the show for not introducing the mother because I don't care about the identity of the mother. The show's formula annoys me. TV shows are fantastic until the show runners run out of ideas. When that happens, I search for the purpose of the series in every episode. What drives the characters? Why did the writers decide to build this type of story for Marshall or Lily? I haven't understood the purpose of the series for two seasons now. Professional television writers are granted a tremendous opportunity to tell stories for huge audiences, and it's frustrating when the writers waste this opportunity on a show like HIYM

TWO AND A HALF MEN returns Monday, September 19 at 9PM

The 1 hour season premiere introduces Ashton Kutcher's millionaire (or is it billionaire) character. Producers have kept their mouths shut regarding the departure of Sheen's character. The premiere's supposed to center around a funeral. Presumably, Sheen's character died. The season premiere could receive record ratings. Kutcher's more famous than I would've predicted during the days of That 70s Show. I assume men and women want to what the series will be post-Charlie Sheen.

HAWAII FIVE-O returns Monday, September 19 at 10PM

McGarrett's in custody for the murder of the mayor. Danny's supposed to be on a flight to New York. Chin's back with the police. I know the season ended with Kono in some sort of danger but the specifics elude my mind currently. I liked every episode of season one. Procedurals usually annoy me but Lenkov and his writers brought a different kind of creativy energy to Hawaii-Five O. The cases are usually interesting and the banter between the characters' are great. Also, the locale doesn't hurt the series at all. I expect the various cliffhangers to be resolved in the premiere, just in time for the first case-of-the-week in the second episode. I'm looking forward to the second season.

NCIS returns Tuesday, September 20 at 8PM

NCIS will celebrate its 200th episode sometime during February sweeps. I don't know what happened last season nor what will happen in season nine. For what it's worth, the ninth season premiere's titled "Nature of the Beast."

NCIS: LOS ANGELES returns Tuesday, September 20 at 9PM

Indeed, the show returns on the 20th. I'm unfamiliar with the NCIS franchise.

CRIMINAL MINDS returns Wednesday, September 21 at 9PM

The criminal minds team face an uncertain future as the seventh season launches. According to my sources, the FBI and U.S. Senate have questioned the team for their actions "in wake of the Prentiss loss." The nefarious Prentiss apparently FAKED HIS DEATH. It should be an exciting start to the season if you're a fan of CM. Paget Brewster's back for the seventh season.

CSI returns Wednesday, September 21 at 10PM

I can't offer any details about the creative plans for the 12th season of the series. I only hope that I surprise readers with the old news that Fishbourne left the show and Ted Danson joined the show. I doubt I surprised anyone, though.

THE BIG BANG THEORY returns Thursday, September 22 at 8PM

The geeks have their own respective women troubles now. Over the last year or so, the series added some female characters. In the 4th season finale, Raj and Penny had sex. Howard got into a fight with Bernadette about a watch. Leonard overreacted to something Priya did then told her parents about their relationship, which is a problem because they're Indian and he isn't. So, there's plenty of story to untangle in the premiere. The idea of Raj and Penny together's intriguing. I won't watch the show, though. Community and The Vampire Diaries are better.

THE MENTALIST returns Thursday, September 22 at 10PM

Season 3 concluded with Simon Baker finally nabbing the man who murdered his wife and daughter--the infamous Red John; however, Simon Baker only believes that the man's Red John, which means the real Red John remains at-large. CBS is too bland a network for the real Red John to be caught.

CSI: NEW YORK returns Friday, September 23 at 9PM

The New York spin-off's only back for a brief run before its series finale. I read that one episode will pay tribute to the 9/11 attacks near or on its 10th anniversary.

BLUE BLOODS returns Friday, September 23 at 10PM

The snarky, cynical website Television Without Pity stamped its seal of approval on the Ashley Judd/Tom Selleck/Donnie Wohlberg family-police drama. It's regarded as a well-written and smart series that gained strength throughout its first season. The creators departed the show, which raised some questions about the future of the series. I honestly don't know how the changes will affect the show.

THE GOOD WIFE returns Sunday, September 25 at 9PM

Some folk adore The Good Wife so much so that someone published a piece arguing that The Good Wife's the network equivalent of The Wire. The writer wrote the piece because of the similar commentaries on urban life and urban politics. I don't know what's planned for the third season. The internet's more interested in "sultry" photos of Julianna Margulies.

CSI: MIAMI returns Sunday, September 25 at 10PM

Here's a certainty for the upcoming season--David Caurso will definitely wear sunglasses at some point.

MIKE & MOLLY returns Monday, September 26 at 9:30PM

Season 2's going to focus on the upcoming wedding between Mike and Molly. The wedding arc in sitcoms are usually unbearable. At some point, Mike will become jealous of Molly's yoga instructor. Eventually, they'll wed during one of the sweeps periods. I anticipate the couple separating at some point and reuniting during May sweeps. The season will conclude with the wedding.

RULES OF ENGAGMENT returns Saturday, October 8 at 8PM

David Spade's invincible sitcom is the utility show of CBS. If a new sitcom fails, Rules of Engagement replaces the failed sitcom. CBS doesn't expect this show to resurrect Saturday night's. If the hyped prospect can't cut it at the big league level, the Jamey Carroll of network television takes the show's spot in the lineup.

THE YOUTUBE CLIP OF THE WEEK


No comments:

About The Foot

My photo
Originally, I titled the blog Jacob's Foot after the giant foot that Jacob inhabited in LOST. That ended. It became TV With The Foot in 2010. I wrote about a lot of TV.